Canada produced 19.3 million cubic metres (121.4 million barrels) of crude oil and equivalent products in February, up 4.1% from the same month in 2016.
Non-upgraded crude bitumen production increases
Year over year, the production of crude oil and equivalent products continued to rise. The increase was primarily attributable to non-upgraded crude bitumen production (up 13.1% to 7.5 million cubic metres). The monthly production of non-upgraded crude bitumen consisted of mined crude bitumen (6.4 million cubic metres), plus in situ crude bitumen (7.0 million cubic metres), minus crude bitumen sent for further processing (5.9 million cubic metres).
Synthetic crude, up 3.3% to 5.1 million cubic metres, also contributed to the increase in production.
Meanwhile, light and medium crude oil (down 7.9% to 3.6 million cubic metres) and heavy crude oil (down 2.5% to 1.8 million cubic metres) continued to decline.
Production of non-conventional crude oil continues to rise
In February, crude oil production (excluding equivalent products) totalled 18.0 million cubic metres. Non-conventional crude oil production, which consists of non-upgraded crude bitumen and synthetic crude oil, rose 8.9% to 12.6 million cubic metres, marking the sixth consecutive monthly year-over-year increase.
Conventional crude production of light, medium and heavy crude oils decreased 6.2% in February compared with the same month in 2016 to 5.4 million cubic metres.
Alberta produced 15.6 million cubic metres of crude oil and equivalent products, up 5.7% from February 2016 and accounted for 80.9% of Canada's total production. Meanwhile, Saskatchewan produced 2.2 million cubic metres or 11.3% of the national total, while Newfoundland and Labrador produced 1.0 million cubic metres or 5.4% of total Canadian production.
Refinery use of crude oil
In February, input of crude oil to Canadian refineries totalled 7.5 million cubic metres. Conventional crude oil represented 63.6% of the total, while non-conventional crude oil accounted for the remaining 36.4%. Light and medium crude oil (3.9 million cubic metres) and synthetic crude oil (2.4 million cubic metres) were the main types of crude oil used by Canadian refineries.
Exports and imports
Exports of crude oil and equivalent products rose 4.8% in February compared with the same month in 2016 to 15.3 million cubic metres. The vast majority of production (89.2%) was exported via pipelines, while other means such as rail, truck and marine transportation, accounted for the remaining 10.8%. Over the same period, imports to Canadian refineries increased 34.9% to 2.8 million cubic metres.
Closing inventories of crude oil and equivalent products totalled 19.7 million cubic metres in February, split between closing inventories held in pipelines and terminals (12.8 million cubic metres), refineries (4.2 million cubic metres) and fields and plants (2.7 million cubic metres).
Marketable natural gas declines
Canada produced 12.5 billion cubic metres of marketable natural gas in February, down 4.1% from the same month in 2016. Alberta (68.4%) and British Columbia (28.4%) accounted for most of Canadian production.
Total consumption by residential, industrial and commercial users rose 5.6% over the same period.
Exports of natural gas by pipeline to the United States rose 2.1% to 6.9 billion cubic metres and imports were up 74.5% to 2.9 billion cubic metres.
The Toronto Stock Exchange has neither approved nor disapproved the information contained herein.